With winter fast approaching and the holiday season in full swing, it is important to make a concerted effort at maintaining your activity levels. Even if temperatures remain more mild in Houston than other parts of the country, it is still conceivable that levels of activity will drop when the hours of daylight are considerably fewer, giving you a shorter window in which to exercise comfortably outdoors. Add to this the fact that calorie intake is higher in the period between Thanksgiving and the New Year, and you can see why winter fitness is important for preventing weight gain and combating the aches and pains that come with extra hours spent sedentary. If we are faced with spending more time inside, it is important to adjust our patterns of exercise.
- Getting creative in the house: Make the house a sanctuary of health by stretching and exercising regularly to keep the immune and nervous systems up and stress down. a
- Recreating with the family; taking the dog for a walk, going ice skating, etc. Activities that get you excited about winter rather than
- Consider indoor sports or seek out fitness programs on DVD or YouTube with exercises that can be done from the comfort of the living room.
- Yoga, for keeping the muscles toned and flexibility maintained.
- Vitamin D: Take advantage of sunny days by getting outside for walks with the family, but also use diet to keep D levels high for calcium absorption and bone health!
Furthermore, staying fit is a great way to fend off seasonal illness that can keep you bedridden and miserable. Don’t let your body fall by the wayside this winter; it is important to follow up on any fitness gains achieved during the summer. For help getting motivated, or resolving physical limitations that are holding you back, give our office in Houston a call to schedule an appointment and ensure that your body is in prime shape through the winter.
Dr. Randall Holmes, D.C.